Many say that it takes 28 days to break a habit: rehab, for example is initially 28 days long. So, theoretically it should take 28 days to form a new habit. Thus begins the journey of forming new habits that relate to all things Last Minute Clothing. My main intoxication.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 1

The Mission: intoxicating myself to all that is Last Minute Clothing. Learning to ignore the elements of negativity (especially the ones in my own head) by forming a solid day to day routine for this self employed fashion designer.

Step 1: Detoxification

This only took me two years...

The irony of it, is that I was/am my only enemy, my friends and family all believe in me, yet I would fall off the wagon by not believing I could do what I have always wanted to do. Typical of an addict; I was addicted to the idea of my dream, my goals completely failing. Yet, what is success without failure? I would venture out and look for new ways to survive (a new drug), instead of continuing with what I was already doing. Using (other drugs) seemingly promising endeavors as a distraction only to come right back to the exact same spot, with much time wasted.

So here I am, "completely" (we all know what completely can mean) detoxicated, ready to take on all that is Last Minute Clothing, ready for a healthy addiction. Knowing all to well that many will tempt me with their false pretenses and OK for you drugs. Every day will be a struggle but, "I got this"!

Step 2: Forming a Routine

Here lies the beginning struggle, getting out of bed in the morning even if you don't really have to. Sure, I can work til 3:00 in the morning and sleep til noon, who's gonna stop me. But can I really? Is that wise? I mean how much work do I really get done and how often do opportunities come up where I want to go out but can't. Or I do go out and a customer doesn't get his or her order in time. Or, how often would I miss opportunities related to my business because I was still in bed. Yeah, not the way I want to run my business so I have learned how to get up with the sun(ish) and go to bed when I am tired. This did take me a while to learn how to do, I'll spare the details for another time. As a result I actually get more sleep now than I did going to bed late and waking up late. But I still struggle with distractions and getting work done during the day.

So a few ideas for forming my solid routine:

-First: Do not worry about what will happen tomorrow and do not worry about what happened yesterday (Luke 22:25 for those of you who read the Bible) Only focus on the task and goals at hand.

-Second: With that being said, set small goals, ones that I would like to accomplish and ones that need to be accomplished. Don't go crazy with the long term list of curing world hunger and what not, just stick to the realistic for now goals. Then place these goals in order of urgency.

-Third: I don't know yet, I haven't got that far. Still a bit overwhelmed with the first and second ideas. Geeze.

So, here I go, goals for the day:
-finish and ship the two orders that should have went out yesterday (yeah, should of...)
-finish new set of cuffs for posting on Etsy (...sew on buttons)
-begin concept and design for new dress

OK, doesn't seem to hard, lets see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment