Many say that it takes 28 days to break a habit: rehab, for example is initially 28 days long. So, theoretically it should take 28 days to form a new habit. Thus begins the journey of forming new habits that relate to all things Last Minute Clothing. My main intoxication.

Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 2

So here it is day two and I am already discouraged.

The reason: Those goals I set yesterday I only accomplished the first one. The most important one yeah, but still only one...

The explanation/excuse: I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing so I made two left handed gloves, had to make another. Then I sewed the buttons on the wrong side, had to take 'em off and do it again. After that I still had to create postage labels and head on out to the post office, while taking care of several other errands. This is all way more time consuming than I would assume it to be and next thing I knew it was 10:00 at night. What?

The result: Before I even got out of bed this morning I was already overwhelming myself with the what ifs and the things I cannot control.

What if what I am doing is not what I am supposed to be doing? What if I can't compete? I am only one person. What if I am just wasting time? What if no one reads my blog? Why should I even bother writing? What if my clothing doesn't fit right and no one buys it? What if I don't have enough sales this month and can't pay my bills?

This then, of course, led in to many other thoughts. Maybe I should just focus on making more cuffs or making some beanies to sell instead of my clothing. I don't have the resources I need to accomplish all my goals. Then I let myself get distracted with all the other stuff that needs to be done, like house chores and what to get/make everyone for Christmas that doesn't cost money. Then of course I start stressing out about Christmas and other holiday ordeals. This then led to a slight moment of depression, 'cause it can be pretty depressing knowing you can't buy or make all the things you would want for your friends and family.

These thought lasted until just a few hours ago, when I finally stopped wasting time thinking and just started sewing buttons on cuffs. Hey what do you know I finished one of the goals set for yesterday.

It is when I start working that things seem most clear to me. I knew I didn't have to worry about the house chores and what not until later today or over the weekend. Why? well if I was anyone not self employed I would be in an office or retail space unable to do anything other than work. So I need to start clocking in to my job. I am my own boss and right now I am not being a very good one. I am not strict enough and as a result production is down and sales are low due to lack of merchandise. Just because I am a small business does not mean I am any different than those ginormous corporations. The same principles still apply to me. The only difference is that I actually enjoy what I am doing and there is a heart and soul behind my product.

So the goal for the rest of the day:
-continue with the concept design for the new dress and do some actual constructing...

And as for forming my solid routine:
-the third idea: clock in! Start treating my own work as I would any other work environment.

And finally...

Step 3: Don't Think Just Do

The only way to make progress is to actually produce. When I spend to much time weighing the pro's and con's or contemplating the what ifs, the only result is a headache and I can't afford Tylenol. So I guess the best thing to do is, to do. Hey Nike makes a whole lotta money with their catch phrase. I would assume, it works...

No comments:

Post a Comment